First dates are like movie trailers; short, exciting, unnerving, and interesting, leaving you with emotions that’ll make you anticipate the next meeting. So, you want to make sure everything’s perfect; your dress, your look, conversation topics, and even body language as it’s a foundation for a healthy and promising relationship or not. I decided to help with things you should avoid with detailed experiential explanations.
Punctuality is always important, especially on the first date. If you show up late, it will send the message that you just don’t care and that’s a bad first impression. Months back, I went out with a friend(it wasn’t our first) and she was late, I had to wait for about 10mins. As little as 10mins seemed, I was tired, pissed, and uninterested in the date even before she arrived. If you won’t be early, ensure to send a message and apologize when you arrive.
It’s quite an embarrassment to you when you arrive late on your first date too.
Avoid looking shabby or sloppy, it shows that you don’t take dignity in how you look and don’t care about the outcome of your meeting. It’s important to look good, paying attention to your look is one of the best things you’d do for yourself on a first date as it’s inevitable to address a person by his/her look. So tell me, How do you want to be addressed?
Not Asking Questions
Be conversational. The first date is when you’ll learn a lot of new things about your potential partner so if there were a time to focus, it’s now. You won’t know what to talk about if you don’t ask questions. It’s your first date remember?
I met someone in July and immediately felt like we’ve been friends since forever. He was so great at holding conversations, I was in awe, and I still look forward to our next meeting.
You’ll be regarded as boring if you don’t hold a great conversation. See tips on how to talk to anyone here.
Carbonated Drinks or Beer
Avoid fizzy drinks on your first date. It’s time to know. There’ll be so much talking and you don’t want to get interrupted by your bloated stomach and the uncontrollable gaseous escape through your mouth. You could have water, juice, or any healthy drink.
You might decide to do any silly thing but this. Don’t ever split the bills on your first date, it’s either you pay or she pays.
“Justine is such a great guy. He was offended when I split the bills, and paid for the meal ”
If Justine invited you or suggested that you both went on a date, He’ll take care of the bills. Also, avoid asking “bills on you?”, it’s awkward.
Showing Your Insecurities
I understand you’re nervous since it’s your first but try not to show it, you’ll do great.
You’ll seem unbalanced, vulnerable, and less challenging when you’re too open(have some secrets) and readily share your childhood stories too.
Monopolizing The Conversation
Remember, it’s about your partner before you. Don’t make the conversation one-sided, it will get boring to death at a point. If you’re such a good listener, then try sharing at least an experience to make your partner know that you understand and can relate to whatever he/she says. If you don’t agree with the point then your experience could change your date’s point of view, make sure it’s polite too.
You never have a second chance to make a first impression.Will Rogers
These aren’t the only things to avoid but they’d help a great deal. You should also avoid being argumentative, rude to others, clinging, and eating before a first date. Let me know your thoughts in the comment section.
- Yet Another Birthday?!Abstract: there’s always that day, one in a year, when your privacy is intruded without bounds. Is a birthday celebration a bad choice after all? This piece is a bit rough but I promised to publish a post today and boom, here I am. It’s about that time of the… Continue Reading →
- Why Don’t I Get Called After A First Date?First dates are like movie trailers; short, exciting, unnerving, and interesting, leaving you with emotions that’ll make you anticipate the next meeting. So, you want to make sure everything’s perfect; your dress, your look, conversation topics, and even body language as it’s a foundation for a healthy and promising relationship… Continue Reading →
- WHY DO PEOPLE MAKE RESOLUTIONS?Fireworks exploding across the sky, loved ones kissing, cuddling, and shaking hands, and 50% of people pledging that 2021 is the year they finally lose weight/quit smoking/start a business/spend more time with family/live life to the fullest. At the start of the new year, thousands of brand new cars will… Continue Reading →
- VALUESThe term values is used in variety of contexts and has so many meanings in everyday language as they are generally considered to play a crucial role in guiding human actions. In ethics, values are a person’s principles or standards of behaviour; one judgement of what is important in life…. Continue Reading →
- Top 5 Fashion Outfits For This SeasonThis season fashion designers have top-up their games, as it has remained one that is anticipated every year. Characterized by festivals, especially holidays, the cold and pleasant weather, although harsh for some, a lot of people look forward to it. Usually, new collections are released, with different styles and designs,… Continue Reading →